Thursday, December 5, 2013

Bonefish's Kate Grouper- my way!

So since I gave you all those awesome cookie recipes and tempted you with a few more still to come I felt like I needed to make a healthy dinner last night.  Well... if you call using a whole stick of butter a healthy dinner?!? OOPS! But it was divided between four portions.. I'm telling you I can justify ANYTHING.  But I did reduce the amount of butter Bonefish uses in their recipe, and they breaded their grouper and I did not.   See? Healthy.  But I didn't take pictures.  Eventually I will get the hang of this blogging thing.   I know you guys love to see pictures- gotta know if the recipe looks like its worth making, I understand.  And we are so tempted by visual images.  So I will try to be better about photos.

So this recipe- super simple and definitely can be changed up.  I NEVER leave a recipe alone.  Well... rarely anyways.  I am a firm believe that most all recipes are just suggestions anyways.  So make it you.  Use what you have, use what you like.  Both my boys were happy with dinner last night, but since I did not make a starch or even a salad we were all a little hungry after dinner.  So we all ate ice cream.  So much for eating healthy.  I am convinced I am addicted to sugar.  Very hard to break that addiction.  So I try to balance healthy foods with my not so healthy addiction to sugar.  If I could just break that sugar addiction I bet I could finally lose weight.  Ugh! So frustrating!

So here is what I did:

2 large cloves of garlic, finely minced
3 T onion, finely minced (recipe called for scallions and I was out- see, use what you have!)
1 stick salted butter
2-3 T of lemon juice, or one whole lemon
1/2 cup white wine (recipe calls for dry wine, I had pinot grigio)
1/4 tsp dried basil, (recipe called for fresh and I didn't have any- I would have preferred to use fresh, but again, didn't have any :( )

Combine all ingredients into a sauce pan, bring to a low boil and continue to heat until sauce has reduced by half.
While your sauce is reducing, grab your grouper fillets, season them on both sides, I used Badia's Complete Seasoning and Old Bay.  I lightly sprayed my skillet with olive oil using a Misto sprayer (please, please, for the love of all that is good, do not use PAM, I know it is simple, quick and easy to use, BUT it is putting so many chemicals into your body and ruining your cookware).  Place your fillets into a hot skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side.  Your cook time will depend on the thickness of your fillets.  Sorry I can't give you a more accurate time.  Your fillets could even take longer? The fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork and you should see nice white flaky meat. If it doesn't flake it isn't done.  (Quick side note, if you have already taken your fish out of the skillet and served it and you find it's not done, fish actually cooks quite well in the microwave, I have had to pop it in the microwave on a few occasions myself. Start in small increments 15-20 seconds at a time, you don't want to overcook it). When the fish is fully cooked spoon a bit of the lemon butter wine sauce over the fish fillets.  Serve immediately.

I also roasted some asparagus with the grouper.  Wash and trim the tough ends of your asparagus, I just snap off the ends.  Place on cookie sheet spritzed with olive oil and spritz more olive oil onto asparagus, give the asparagus a light sprinkle of salt and pepper and roast in a 425 degree oven.  Again the time will depend on how thick your asparagus stalks are, and how soft or crisp you like your asparagus.  My son prefers his soft and then crispy from the roasting, I usually roast mine about 25 minutes. Spoon some of the lemon butter wine sauce over the asparagus as well.

Suggestions on the sauce- Bonefish uses artichoke hearts in theirs, I normally do as well.  But alas, I was out.  (I'm seeing a pattern here, I may need to get to the store.)  Sun dried tomatoes would also be yummy in this sauce, my boys are big fans of sun dried tomatoes though, even though I am! Bonefish also uses feta cheese on top of the grouper before spooning over the sauce.  Again, I was out.  Parmesan would also be good in this sauce. My boy tells me I never make the same recipe twice, now you see why.  There are so many options, how do you pick just one???

Do you change up recipes as well? Or do you stick strictly to the recipe? Do you tend to make the same dishes repeatedly? 

I'm off for day 2 week one of my running program!

Have a great day!
C

No comments:

Post a Comment